Sunday, June 5, 2011

Rain or Shine

I was able to make some progress on my Rain or Shine quilt so I wanted to share some pictures.  I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

I'm really into all of the grey fabric out right now, and so for the sashing I really wanted to go with grey.  However, when I got to my LQS I realized that grey was just not the right color for this quilt, so I'll have to plan another quilt for the future to satisfy my grey craving ;)  I finally settled on a Kona Solid in a turquoise color, I can't remember the right color naming from the bolt.  The turquoise color was perfect.  Most of the block pieces are in the pink/purple family but there are pieces that are in blues and greens, so the turquoise sashing will help balance out the quilt colors.


 I increased the size of this quilt from a throw to a full size and it was fun to watch it grow when I had it laid out on the floor as I added the sashing.
 Yep, I think the turquoise sashing was the right choice...
And now for the border, the fabric that started it all!  I bought two yards of this fabric since I loved it so much, even though I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it...  After analysing the purchase I decided it would be better to use the butterfly fabric as a border since it was a strong directional fabric.  Once I decided to use this as a border fabric on a quilt for a full size bed I got nervous that I didn't have enough so I ran back to the quilt shop to get more and they were all out!  I knew if I practiced careful cutting I could get enough out of the piece for the border, but I postponed cutting the piece as long as possible.  
 In the end, cutting the border fabric went much better than anticipated.  I think I even have enough left to make some matching pillow cases for the quilt using the butterfly fabric as edging :)
 Quilt top finished!  I love how this turned out.  Next step, pulling fabric from my stash for the back, can't wait to see how that will look!
I just liked how the top looked folded right sides together so here's a pic...


1 comment:

  1. I love your choice of aqua, too! Love how this looks! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete