Thursday, June 9, 2011

Directional Prints Have a Mind of Their Own

So the last couple of nights I have been slowly working on the extension table bag with the Jo Morton fabric.  If you remember, I was a bit hesitant about the directional print.  My intent was to piece the fabric so that the directional print retained the same orientation.  Good plan right? Well.....the directional print had a better idea.
 Once I laid out a few blocks, I discovered that directional print wouldn't follow the same direction throughout the quilt, but would alternate between a vertical and horizontal orientation.  I think this actually adds movement to the block pattern and I like it better.

So on tap tonight is finishing these blocks (there are six total for the outside panel of the bag).  The picture below is where I'm at so far, but I think the goal is doable.
 After trimming the diagonals, I laid some pieces out to get a taste of what the finished block will look like in these fabrics.  I think I'm really going to like this bag!
Well, it's time to go warm up the iron, happy sewing :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love how this is coming together! I find that I can only see so much, I sometimes just have to start putting it together and then I can really "see" how it works. Good luck with the rest of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete